Sunday, December 9, 2007

No Regrets

Today, I watched one of the best movies that I have seen in a long, long time. M and I watched "La Vie En Rose," the story of Edith Piaf. The film ends with her rendition of Je ne Regrette Rien (No Regrets). I have a Shirley Bassey CD with her English version of the song, but the French lyrics are so much more powerful. This YouTube video has English subtitles.



I never realized until a year or so ago that Edith originally sang this song in French.......Kay Starr, Brenda Lee, and Patsy Cline all sang English renditions of this song (among other artists) Hymne à l'Amour



L'Accordioniste-----One of Piaf's earliest major hits, a wartime song from 1942 by Michel Emer, himself a soldier about to leave for the front. It's about a prostitute in love with an accordionist who goes to war, doesn't return, and somehow cannot be replaced






No comments: