Sunday, October 21, 2007

La La La Revisited

Who is Massiel? I have been infatuated with this Youtube video for a couple of months now. It is one of the most bizarre things I have ever watched in my life. Somehow, this song won the Eurovision song contest in 1968 with a chorus like "la la la la la la la la la." What creativity! I don't think I have ever heard a song with a chorus of a single word repeating itself over and over!

And then there is Massiel herself! I take it that she is an icon in Spain....a legend! But take a look at her mouth during this performance. Her mouth barely moves! And then there is this one scene where she puts her hand up to the side of her head...as if to say...."Why am I singing this awful song? Who wrote this crap?"

I will have to admit---the first part of the song is very dramatic.....but then we get to all the La La La's. How she sings all those LA LA LA's without moving her mouth bothers me. After the first chorus, we hear another dramatic part of the song. Then--Massiel gets into the chorus...wailing away on the LA LA LA's.......Then there are the dramatic last three LaLaLa's.

This song is the craziest performance ever! And it won Eurovision! How? How in the heck did this song and this performance win anything?

This got me to thinking----What would be some crazy wins in today's music scene? Here are a few of my ideas......

  1. Mooriah Carey wins an Oscar for Glitter 2.
  2. Amy Winehouse is given the SECRETARY OF DEFENSE COMMUNITY DRUG AWARENESS AWARD.
  3. Britney Spears is awarded the National Mother of the Year Award.
  4. Clay Aiken is awarded the National Man of the Year Award. (I am so bad!)
  5. William Hung wins a Grammy for Record of the Year.

I am tired....so I will have to come up with some more awards later!

This Massiel woman.....you have to give her props......She takes a song filled with more LA LA LA's that any Partridge Family song ever had.....and makes it her own....and somehow she wins Eurovision. It makes you wonder what the other songs sounded like that year! But the song is a bit catchy for some reason. Maybe Madonna or Cher will redo it someday.

No comments: